ASK AN EXPERT
How do laminate, granite, quartz and solid surface differ? Which is the right one for me?
Buyers should know
|What is it?
|A manufactured slab of dense layers — usually base layers of wood product topped by a veneer layer of patterned polymer plastic.
|A quarried slab of real, cut stone. Mineral crystals such as mica and feldspar create unique speckled patterns and colour.
|A manufactured slab of polymer plastic, filled and patterned by crushed, natural stone — usually quartz.
|A manufactured slab of polymer plastic, filled and patterned by finely crushed materials such as stone, sand, and glass.
|Granite, wood, bamboo, tile, slate, metal, and more
|Granite, but more choices
|Concrete, granite, and quartz
|Thousands of colours and styles
|Natural variation in patterning and colour; no two are alike
|Some variation in patterning and colour
|Consistent patterning and colour
|Sinks can be undermounted
|Good for self-installation
|Seamless backsplash available
|Seal every 6 to 12 months
|Minimal Can be repolished like new after 5-10 years
What is special about your exclusives?
Our exclusive laminates are only available from KW Countertop, so you can be assured that your countertop will be unique. Since they are manufactured on-site, we are able to offer a premium product at an excellent value. They are also an attractive option when a countertop is needed in a hurry because the materials are always in stock.
What is postform/postforming?
Postforming is a process used to make a laminate countertop by bending, pinching, and shaping the laminate as part of the manufacturing process. As a result most postform laminates have a rounded backsplash that butts against the wall, and a rounded edge that curves over the front of the cabinet.
What is a countertop profile?
A profile is the edge of a countertop. Strictly speaking, the profile is the shape of the edge: square, bevel, bullnose, ogee, waterfall, and others. The profile depends on the type of countertop. For example, postform laminate countertops are available in standard, modern, and concordia profiles. Natural stone granite countertops can have raw, polished, and carved profiles.
Can I put a hot pot on my countertop?
Even though some of the products we sell are heat resistant, we do not recommend putting very hot objects directly on your countertop.
Can I repair or refinish my countertop?
Maybe. It depends on the type of countertop, the type of damage, and your expectations. For example, on laminate countertops, it’s fairly simple to replace an edge, but tougher to blend a surface repair.
Solid surface countertops can be professionally repolished to a “like new” state. Depending on the wear, some owners like to do this every 5 to 10 years.
Granite and Quartz can be repaired, depending on damage, however it will not be 100% restored back to the original state.
How are you different from your competitors?
Let us count the ways!
- We are locally-owned and passionate about serving our community
- We have an huge, inspiring showroom with helpful experts nearby
- We manufacture postform laminate on-site, for factory-direct savings
- We are an exclusive dealer and certified fabricator of DuPont™ Corian® and Samsung Staron® solid surface countertops; an authorized dealer of Postform Ltd. eco-friendly laminate
- We have hundreds of readily-available colours in laminate, granite and quartz
- We offer environmentally-sensitive choices and save wood shavings for farm bedding
- Our exclusive laminates offer unique choices at exceptional value.
- We donate countertops to homes built by Habitat for Humanity
- We install what we sell, and we’ll help you do it yourself
- We have the fastest turn-around time for laminate, quartz and granite — contact us with your countertop requirements
How do I prepare for an installation?
Help us help you by taking a few steps to prepare your room for installation:
- Remove items from the counter area and nearby shelves
- Remove nearby drawers and contents
- Have a certified tradesperson adjust or disconnect the electric and gas lines
- Remove the sink and faucets
- Have the replacement sink and faucets on hand After the installation, have a certified tradesperson adjust or reconnect the electric and gas lines.
After the installation, have a certified tradesperson adjust or reconnect the electric and gas lines.
If you have any questions, please contact us.